Update on provider requests to deliver T Level Foundation Year ahead of T Levels
If you are new to delivering the T Level Foundation Year programme, you should not deliver your TL Foundation Year ahead of T Levels. We expect delivery of TL Foundation Year to begin at the same time as, or later than, you start to deliver T Levels.
The reasons for this are:
- we are still in the early stages of delivery of the programme and it is important, that your TL Foundation Year is shaped by your experience of developing and delivering T Levels;
- students must have a T Level available to progress to after successfully completing their TL Foundation Year;
- planning and developing a TL Foundation Year route for the first time takes time and preparation – and so should start at least a year ahead of first delivery – and providers should take advantage of the Association of Colleges (AoC) provider delivery support programme that is available.
We will review this policy in early 2024.
Some of you have asked if you can start to deliver TL Foundation Year in advance of the T Levels. We’ve considered this request and have decided to allow delivery of TL Foundation Year ahead of T Levels providing certain conditions are met. To deliver TL Foundation Year in advance of the T Level you should:
- already have some experience of TL Foundation Year delivery;
- intend to deliver T Levels in the TL Foundation Year route the following year – so that students have a relevant T Level to progress onto;
- correctly record relevant students as being on TL Foundation Year on the Individualised Learner Record (ILR) or School Census;
- inform your AoC adviser of your plans to deliver TL Foundation Year early and of the routes you intend to deliver them in.
We strongly recommend that you also:
- access Technical Focus Group (TFG) support for the new routes you are developing – you can find the details of these here - and
- cascade the learning from the TFGs and wider support across your organisation - to foster closer links between both staff and students participating in T Level Foundation Year and T Levels.
If you have any questions, please speak to your dedicated AoC adviser in the first instance.
Last updated: 30 June 2023
Next update: by March 2024