Case study: planning the student journey with City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College
- Last updated
Providers that have been delivering the first and second wave of T Levels have put in a great amount of time and attention into developing and implementing the T Level student journey. This resource will give you an insight into how schools and colleges have managed to successfully plan a brand-new T Level curriculum and key personal advice to support your planning.
Who is this resource for?
This resource is for people that will be involved in the planning and delivery of T Levels from a school or college provider type setting. This includes senior leaders, middle managers and delivery staff.
How to use this resource
This case study focuses on how City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College planned its T Level student journey. By watching the complete 9 minute video, you will gain valuable insights from senior leaders and middle managers, employers and students.
If you would like to look at the specific responses listed, click on the individual links below.
Overall T Level strategy
- Why did you decide to offer T Levels?
- Why is it important to embrace local area growth priorities when developing T Levels?
- How successful has T Level recruitment been in supporting the increase in overall student numbers?
- How do you ensure that staff are industry prepared and trained to teach T Levels?
- What advice would you give sixth form colleges (or new providers?) that are considering delivering T Levels?
Marketing and recruitment
- What was your overall marketing strategy in raising awareness and promoting T Levels?
- What have been the greatest challenges in recruiting and inducting T Level students?
- How do you ensure that T Level students understand academic pathways and links to future careers?
- How do you support T Level students to progress to positive destinations?
- Why did you choose to study a T Level?
- What would you like to do after your T Level?
- What advice would you give to other students who might be thinking about taking a T Level?
- How important is it to work together with the provider in planning industry placements?
- What was your approach to onboarding and inducting T Level students into the workplace?
- How do you support T Level students whilst they are on industry placement?
Top tips from City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College
- Assess the needs of the local area to help decide which courses you want to offer
- Make sure the students understand what T Levels are
- Provide CPD for existing staff
- Bring in staff from industry backgrounds and support them with the teaching elements
- Access the support that is available to you
- Engage with other education provider networks
- Be thoughtful about which courses you want to deliver
- Be brave and be positive