Delivery of the T Level Foundation Year
We have taken a phased approach to implementing the T Level Foundation Year alongside the introduction of T Levels in September 2020. We are working closely with a subset of early T Level providers to explore different approaches to delivery, to help determine the shape of the programme and what the future national Framework for Delivery should look like.
The department has taken a phased approach to implementing the T Level Foundation Year to identify good practice and understand what supports progression onto T Levels. We want providers to think creatively about how to support this progression and learn lessons from this.
We began by working closely with a small number of providers during phased implementation to explore different approaches to delivering technical knowledge and skills, develop good practice, help determine the shape of the programme and what the future national Framework for Delivery should look like.
Over time, this phased implementation, coupled with providers’ increasing experience of teaching T Levels, will help us to understand what technical knowledge and skills T Level Foundation Year students are likely to benefit from developing, to support their progression to a T Level.
During summer and autumn 2021, we drew on evidence from the first two years of T Level Foundation Year delivery and wider evidence on good practice and worked with providers, employers and education specialists to develop the technical content for the first 3 waves of T Level routes.
T Level Foundation Year routes being delivered now and in future:
The first three T Level Foundation Year routes were rolled out in September 2020, these were:
- Education and early years
A fourth T Level Foundation Year route was rolled out in September 2021:
- Health and Science
The following three T Level Foundation Year routes will be rolled out in September 2022:
- Legal, Finance and Accounting
- Business and Administration
- Engineering and Manufacturing
Providers delivering the T Level Foundation Year
You can see a list of the providers delivering, and providers planning to deliver the T Level Foundation Year on Gov.uk
- Approaches to diagnostic assessment on the T Level Foundation Year (padlet.com)
- An approach to diagnostic and formative assessment (padlet.com)
- Student development plan for the T Level Foundation Year (padlet.com)
- Developing and using a skills matrix to assess student progress on a T Level Foundation Year (padlet.com)
- Contextualisation of core skills, behaviours and employability skills (padlet.com)
- Supporting students to be better self reflectors (padlet.com)
- Supporting student to overcome barriers to their learning (padlet.com)
- Developing metacognition in students (padlet.com)